(1) Adjusted operating profit margin, profit before tax and EPS are calculated prior to exceptional costs and amortisation of acquired intangibles.
(2) Adjusted revenue includes share of joint venture revenue
(3) Ordinary dividends of 61.5 pence per share in 2019 were paid in the form of shares in 2020, in light of the need to conserve cash as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic. All other ordinary dividends shown were or will be paid in cash.
(4) Return on capital employed is calculated as adjusted operating profit prior to exceptional costs and amortisation of acquired intangibles, divided by the average opening and closing shareholders’ funds plus net cash/debt. See section 5.12 on page 186 for the full reconciliation.
(5) Based on responses from customers who legally completed between 1 October 2019 to 30 September 2020. Star rating awarded according to the proportion responding ‘yes’ to the question ‘would you recommend your builder to a friend?’: 5-Star rating 90% and above.
(6) Based on owned and controlled land including joint ventures and joint arrangements.
(7) This shows the average number of reportable items found for each NHBC inspection.
(8) Includes joint venture completions and excludes partner delivery equivalent units.
(9) Average selling price shown on an adjusted basis to include the proportional contribution of joint ventures.